Question

Q: Windows Server 2016 - BSOD with stop code DPC Watchdog Violation

We have a client with a HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen9 Server HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen9 Server.  The host operating system is Windows 2016 Server.

The Server is fully patched with the latest Windows Updates and HPE drivers.

This server was installed 4 months ago and has from time to time BSOD with stop code DPC Watchdog Violation - HPE support have passed us over to Microsoft as they claim it needs a hotfix.

The error logged by the iLo is "04/05/2018 23:43:00,195: Operating System failure (Windows bug check, STOP: 0x00000133 (0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000001E00, 0xFFFFF801C0E31540, 0x0000000000000000))"

We have the full crash dumps if needed BUT they are large.

A solution is needed urgently for this fault.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Partner,

Thanks for posting in our community. This is Janet and I am glad to assist you with the post.

From your description, I understand that current Windows Server 2016 experiencing BSOD.

Please kindly understand, for BSOD issue, it is not an efficient way to work in this community since it may need more resources, such as dump file, which is not appropriate to handle in community due to resource limitation. I would suggest you submit a service request to MS Professional tech support service so that a dedicated support professional can faster assist you with this request by doing in-depth investigation with dump files.

We now provide different service offerings to meet diverse customer needs, and we take every service request from our customers seriously no matter which offering (newsgroup, chat, email, phone, etc.) is selected. You can select Professional Email-based Support or Professional Phone-based Support.

The following web site for more detail of Professional Support Options and incident submission methods is for your reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13948/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Here, based on my research, I’d like to provide some general suggestions about this issue, hope it can help you. 

1.Make sure that hardware drivers(including BIOS, firmware) have been up-to-data, and the driver version is applied to new Windows Server 2016.
2.Using Clean Boot and Safe Mode to determine whether background programs/drivers are interfering with system.
3.Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver that is causing blue screen.

Meanwhile, for the bug check 0x00000133, I found the blog below, please check it for more information:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ntdebugging/2012/12/07/determining-the-source-of-bug-check-0x133-dpc_watchdog_violation-errors-on-windows-server-2012/

Hope the information can be helpful. Thanks very much for your kindly understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,

Janet Wu

Microsoft Partner Support Community Technical Support Engineer

Microsoft Global Partner Services

------------------------------------------------------------------

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, it seems that some people have this issue, did you find a solution?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I am having the same problem. This is a brand new server with 2016 Standard installed HPE Proliant ML350 Gen 9.  The crash is happening when I am copying large amounts of data from the old server to the new one using robocopy.

I did find that the ROM firmware for the RAID controller is at version 6.06 and the current is 6.30. Hoping to update it today and see if that fixes the issue.

Did anyone find a solution to this?

Sorry this didn't help.

it's two weeks that I've no issues, after installing latest Windows Update (cumulative of april) 

(there was the march one installed)

Sorry this didn't help.

That's interesting. I actually removed the April update hoping that would fix it.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's interesting. I actually removed the April update hoping that would fix it.

If removing april one didn't solve it for you, I suggest you to remove the march one too.

I started having that kind of issues on another box after installing that one.

Sorry this didn't help.

The March one had never been installed. I don't know if this is/was the cause but it seemed that RoboCopy may have been the culprit. I was attempting to copy the data from a server that had a failing hard drive. We were able to copy using Windows Explorer and robocopy worked copying "from" the old server "to" the new one.

So...maybe RoboCopy is triggering the issue? Everything else works fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

We have the same blue screen error with a HP DL360 Gen9.

It seems to be triggered when our image backup using Cloudberry runs, backing up to a portable drive.  So maybe a usb issue to the portable drive or when the backup program accesses a certain hard disk to backup

Sorry this didn't help.

After 19 days working smooth, it crashed (right now), during a VM reboot.

4 minutes after crashing, during reboot of hypervisor, it crashed another time

After starting correctly, it shows me a new "april update" (KB4093120 of april 18, the one I previously installed was KB4093119 of april 10)

Checked the KB4093120  rel. notes: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4093120/windows-10-update-kb4093120

• Addresses an issue that causes the host Hyper-V node to stop working when starting the hosted VM.

• Addresses a Kernel deadlock that affects server availability.

So I'm trying to install this new update. I'll keep you informed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for point this one out - how did your update go?

We already have KB4093120 on our root/core server (and still had the blue screen crashes) but one of our Hyper-V VM's needs this update which is hosting our files, AD, DHCP and DNS.    I'm just running this update now on the VM

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,966 Last updated: June 20, 2018 Applies to: