Cannot ignore dashboard alert on Essentials 2012 R2

Hello,

I am running Essentials 2012 R2. The Essentials dashboard is showing an alert that I want to ignore. However, when I choose to ignore it, the "Ignore the alert" popup just stays on the screen, with the green bar moving from left to right. This can last for hours although I think eventually it causes the dashboard to crash.

I have tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow on the machine but it does not resolve the issue.

How can I get this function working again?

Thank you,

Mark Berry

MCB Systems

Question Info

Last updated July 14, 2018 Views 543 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Here are a couple events showing a dashboard crash:  a .NET error followed by the crash. I"m not sure it's related to this issue. Otherwise the dashboard seems to work fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          2/8/2018 12:00:46 PM
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Description:
Application: Dashboard.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
   at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight(System.Drawing.Graphics)
   at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight()
   at System.Drawing.Font.get_Height()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_FontHeight()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_FontHeight()
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.get_PreferredHeight()
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.AdjustHeight(Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBox.OnFontChanged(System.EventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnParentFontChanged(System.EventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnFontChanged(System.EventArgs)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailItemControl.OnFontChanged(System.EventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Font(System.Drawing.Font)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsPane.OnCreateItemControls(Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailItem, System.Windows.Forms.Control)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsPane.AddDetailsGroup(Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsGroup)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsPane.ReinitializeGroups()
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsPane.OnLayout(System.Windows.Forms.LayoutEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PerformLayout(System.Windows.Forms.LayoutEventArgs)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsPane.EndUpdate()
   at System.Collections.CollectionBase.Clear()
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsView.DetailsWorkComplete(System.Object, Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Work.WorkCompleteArgs)

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[])
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(System.Object[])
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Program.Main(System.String[])

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          2/8/2018 12:00:46 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Description:
Faulting application name: Dashboard.exe, version: 6.3.9600.17393, time stamp: 0x54333ee9
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18666, time stamp: 0x58f33794
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00000000000095fc
Faulting process id: 0x598
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3a10a3533932f
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\Essentials\Dashboard.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: c02be501-0d0a-11e8-815a-fc4dd4d2c17c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Partner,

Thank you for posting in our community.

We have received your request. Please kindly understand that we are doing some investigation on this issue currently, and we will provide you an update based on our research as soon as possible. Your kind understanding is much appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Best regards,
Matthew
Microsoft Partner Support Community Technical Support Engineer
Microsoft Global Partner Services
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Please Mark As Answer if this post is helpful to you. Thanks for your cooperation.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Partner,

Thanks for posting in our community. This is Janet and I will assist you with the post.

From your description and the information you provided, I understand that when trying to ignore an alert on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, the dashboard will crash and Event ID 1000 and 1026 can be found in Event Viewer.

Firstly, please kindly understand for application crash issue, it is not an efficient way to work in this community since it may need more resources for troubleshooting, such as trace file, which is not appropriate to handle in community. I suggest you submit a service request to MS Professional tech support service so that a dedicated support professional can further assist you with this request.

The following web site for more detail of Professional Support Options and incident submission methods is for your reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13948/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Still , based on my experience and research, I will try my best to help you. Hope it can be helpful.

If any update or software was installed on current essentials server before the issue occurred, please temporarily uninstall it and then monitor if the issue occurs.

Also, please run Dashboard in safe mode and disable all add-ins, open it up, then re-enable to add-ins that we need from Settings\Safe Mode. Then close and re-open Dashboard.

Thanks very much for your kindly understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,

Janet Wu

------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Mark As Answer after signing in if this post is helpful to you. Thanks for your cooperation.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Janet,

Thank you for the suggestion. I went to Help > Safe Mode. All plugings are from Microsoft. I disabled all settings and re-started the dashboard. Then I re-enabled the the Health Monitoring plugin and re-started the dashboard again. Even with only that one plugin running, I was unable to ignore the alert.

Is there some way that I can do a repair install of the dashboard?

Regards,

Mark Berry

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Partner,

Thank you for your reply.

I have not found any proper way to safely re-install the Essentials Dashboard so far. How about performing a clean boot to eliminate effect of 3rd party software/service?

===========

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Meanwhile, I found similar issue that Dashboard crashes, hope it can be useful.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5b2ebf9c-49e8-467b-b810-16a6666f4c1e/dashboard-crashes-repeatedly-not-clear-why?forum=winserveressentials

https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/10762-wse12r2-dashboardexe-crashing/

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,

Janet Wu

Please Mark As Answer after signing in if this post is helpful to you. Thanks for your cooperation.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Janet,

Re. the dashboard crashes, this morning I was working on a different server and the dashboard suddenly crashes with the exact same .NET error, even though I was not trying to ignore an alert. However, when I later tried to delete an alert, that also hung as on the first server. So this issue is not isolated to one server.

The threads that you shared about dashboard crashes jogged my memory. I actually blogged about an issue with .NET 4.6.1:

https://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2016/10/cant-remove-essentials-computer/

I had to uninstall and block .NET 4.6.1 to get the dashboard working again on Server 2012 R2. However that did not block the installation of .NET 4.7 (KB3186539 on June 17, 2017) or .NET 4.7.1 (KB4033369 on January 13, 2018).

Is the Essentials 2012 R2 dashboard compatible with .NET 4.7 or 4.7.1? 

If I have time, I will try rolling back to 4.5.2 to see if it solves the issues. I found these articles on blocking 4.7 and 4.7.1:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4024204

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4052152

Regards,

Mark Berry

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Partner,

Thank you very much for your reply and providing the information about .Net Framework here! I found an article states known issues for .NET Framework 4.7.1, from the article, I notice a known issue may be related to our case:

https://github.com/Microsoft/dotnet/blob/master/releases/net471/KnownIssues/470006-GC%20Crashes%20with%20high%20rate%20of%20large%20object%20allocation.md

I have submitted the issue "whether .NET Framework 4.7 or 4.7.1 is related to the Dashboard crash" to product team for more related information. And if I receive any useful information, I will update here as soon as I can. Your understanding and patience is much appreciated.

Meanwhile, if any information on your side, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,

Janet Wu

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Janet,

I uninstalled .NET 4.7.1 and still was unable to ignore an alert with .NET 4.7.

So I uninstalled .NET 4.7, which brought me back to 4.5.2. After that, I was able to ignore the alert.

I blogged this here:

https://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2018/02/essentials-2012-r2-dashboard-fails-with-net-4-6-and-4-7/

It seems the Essentials 2012 R2 dashboard is incompatible with all versions of .NET after 4.5.2, which is almost four years old.

Please ask the product team to update the dashboard to work with current versions of .NET. It is confusing and time-consuming to have to uninstall and block the installation of one Microsoft product because it is not compatible with another Microsoft product.

Thanks and regards,

Mark Berry

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Partner,

Thanks very much for your kindly reply and the information you provided here! Seems after uninstalling .Net Framework 4.7, the warning can be ignored successfully and Dashboard does not crash any more. I believe the information can be helpful for users who experiencing similar issue.

I have forwarded this issue and your feedback to product team. Meanwhile, here is an official channel for users to submit their feedback about Windows Server products, we can also submit this issue on this forum to raise product team’s attention for this issue. Thanks again for your efforts!

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback/category/141021-bug

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Janet Wu

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.