Question

Q: Exchange 2016 - Mailbox migration failing - There are no available servers running the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication Service

We have a customer that has an Exchange 2013 virtual server running on Windows Server 2012R2 on their main site, and they are wanting to move to a hosted Exchange 2016 server in a Data Centre on a separate site.

The Exchange 2016 server is running on Windows Server 2016 and has been patched to CU6. It is also a domain controller in their domain.

A VPN tunnel connects the two sites and there are no restrictions on traffic on the tunnel. It is stable and no pings are dropped.

The 2016 server has been set up with the correct SSL certificate, and the internal and external URL's on the virtual directories all set to the same as the 2013 server in order to prepare for mailbox migrations.

When attempting to move a mailbox to the 2016 server however we get a failure with the message:

Error: MigrationTransientException: There are no available servers running the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication Service.

We have turned up EventLog logging on the MailboxReplication\Service and MailboxReplication\MailboxMove to expert, but do not see any event's being logged on either server.

We have enabled the MRSProxyEnabled switch on both servers. The MailboxReplicationService is running on both servers and set to automatic.

I can't see any errors in any event log to indicate what is going wrong so am at a loss to see what is failing and what we need to configure to make this work.

Are you able to help?

Many Thanks

Phil

Further investigation shows if we run get-clientaccessserver |test-mrshealth from the Ex13 server, the local MRS health check passes, but fails when trying to do a RPCPingCheck to the 2016 server.

RunspaceId  : 07d353ac-ee2b-41df-83a0-ed44c14964cd
Check       : RPCPingCheck
Passed      : False
Message     : The endpoint for the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication service couldn't respond: Downlevel clients
              aren't supported.
              Stack trace:
                 at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.MailboxReplicationServiceFault.<>c__DisplayClass1.<Rec
              onstructAndThrow>b__0()
                 at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.ExecutionContext.Execute(Action operation)
                 at
              Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.MailboxReplicationServiceFault.ReconstructAndThrow(String
              serverName, VersionInformation serverVersion)
                 at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.WcfClientWithFaultHandling`2.<>c__DisplayClass1.<CallS
              ervice>b__0()
                 at Microsoft.Exchange.Net.WcfClientBase`1.CallService(Action serviceCall, String context)
                 at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.WcfClientWithFaultHandling`2.CallService(Action
              serviceCall, String context)
                 at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.MailboxReplicationServiceClient.ExchangeVersionInforma
              tion(MRSCapabilities requiredCapability)
                 at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.MailboxReplicationServiceClient.Create(String
              serverName, MRSCapabilities requiredCapability)
                 at
              Microsoft.Exchange.Monitoring.MRSHealth.<>c__DisplayClass2.<VerifyServiceIsRespondingToRPCPing>b__0()
                 at
              Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.CommonUtils.ProcessKnownExceptionsWithoutTracing(Action
              actionDelegate, FailureDelegate processFailure).
Identity    : EX16SERV1
IsValid     : True
ObjectState : New

If we run the same on the 2016 server it passes all tests. For some reason therefore the 2013 server cannot do an RPC Ping to the MRS service on the 2016 server which is why it is failing.

Any idea?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Partner,

Thank you for posting in Partner Support Community. I am Bob. I will be assisting you with this technical issue.

From your description, I understand that we are facing error when try to migrate from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2013. If my understanding is not correct, please feel free to let me know.

Before we go further, I would like to confirm the following questions:

========================================================

1.What is the build number of your Exchange 2013 server?

2.You said that “The Exchange 2016 server is running on Windows Server 2016 and has been patched to CU6. It is also a domain controller in their domain.” Do you mean we installed Exchange 2016 on a domain controller?

Based on my experience, I will give you following recommendations:

=====================================================

1.Please make sure that we are using Exchange 2013CU10 or later version. If not, please update our Exchange 2013 server and perform the migration again.

2.Although the Replication Service is running, we still suggest you restart the server with the following command and check if this error persist.

Restart-Service MSExchangeRepl

3.Accordig to the error message, it seems like a network communication issue. Please check if there is any windows firewalls enabled between Exchange 2013 and Exchange 2016. Please disable the windows firewall and check if this issue perisits.

4.I also did some search about this issue and you may refer to the following article:

Exchange 2010 SP1 Unable to Move Mailboxes?

https://geekcroft.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/exchange-2010-sp1-unable-to-move-mailboxes/

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a Third party World Wide Web site. You should know that Third party sites are not under the control of Microsoft. Accordingly, Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you. This is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

This article applies to Exchange 2010, I think we can also check it in Exchange 2016. Check if NetTCPPortSharing service is set to Automatic, if not, please set it to Automatic and restart the Replication Service.

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Have a nice day!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Best regards,

Bob Qian

Microsoft Partner Support Community Technical Support Engineer

Microsoft Global Partner Services

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bob,

Many Thanks for the reply. To address your questions:

1 - Exchange 2013 server is on CU16

2 - The Exchange 2016 server is a domain controller yes.

I have restarted the ExchangeRepl service but is hasn't made any difference.

3 - There is the standard windows firewall on the two servers, but disabling the firewalls doesn't make any difference.

I did come across the article you mentioned, and the NetTCPPortSharing service is enabled and running on both servers.

All other network traffic between the two servers works fine, network shares, ping tests, no problem. I don't therefore believe it to be a generic RPC port problem, but something related to the Exchange migration service. You may have seen my log above for test-mrshealth, it seems to point to a problem here....

Thanks again for your assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Partner,

Thank you for your post. This is Lancelot and I will be keep assisting you in this post.

From your previous post, I understand that you encounter error when migrate mailbox from exchange 2013 to exchange 2016.

Please correct me if I have any misunderstanding.

In order to better understanding your questions, could you please give us more details below:

==========================

1.Which migration type you are choosing from your organization?  From EMS ? or from EAC  > Recipients > Migrations > initial one move request?

Or from the EAC > Recipients  > Mailbox, move one mailbox to another database.

I performedlots of researches on it and would like to share my analysis with you first

Analysis:  

===============

1. From this error: ”Error: MigrationTransientException: There are no available servers running the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication Service.“, the error seems related to one transient error during the communication.

We recommend you below troubleshooting step:

1. Find the EWS web.config to change the web configuration file, Increase MRSProxy Timeout Settings in below patterns, please check the timeout settings to "00:02:00".

The web config file path is as below:

C:\Program FIles\Microsoft\Exchange Server\v15\ClientAccess\exchweb\ews

<!-- Mailbox Replication Proxy Service configuration -->

<MRSProxyConfiguration

DataImportTimeout="00:01:00" />

1. If not exist, please add it into this config file like below pattern.

1. Save the files,then do IISRESET to get this applied.

2.Run the CMD from EMS,please give us the detailed information when the RPCPing Check error.

Test-MRSHealth <servername> -MonitoringContext:$true

3.Do you have any parallel migration job from your EAC?

2.Check the Replicationhealth from both exchange server if any error occurs.

Test-ReplicationHealth -Identity ex16 -MonitoringContext:$true

3.Restart the MSexchangeservicesapppool from the application pools in IIS,then check the issue again.

Hope the information is helpful.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

We are looking forward to your further update.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Lancelot Zheng

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Sorry this didn't help.

HI Lancelot,

Many Thanks for your detailed reply.

We are testing migrations at this stage, so doing a single mailbox local move for a couple of test mailboxes. It is being done from EAC.

The web.config files on both servers did not contain any settings for the MRSProxyConfiguration, so we added it in and set the values to 2. On both servers the Test-Mrshealth command returned no problems.

There are no parallel migration jobs taking place, just the one test migration at a time.

Test-replicationhealth on both servers shows no problems.

We restarted the app pool and re-ran the tests with the same results.

The migrations are still failing unfortunately. The rpcping test still fails if we do a test-mrshealth from EX13srv1 with a server name of EX16Serv1.

Thanks for your continued efforts....

Phil

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Partner,

Thanks for your post and hope you are doing fine.

We perform one test from our exchange 2013 and exchange 2016,when perform one test-MRShealth check from EX13 to EX16,it will reproduce this error.

From the error message:” The endpoint for the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication service couldn't respond: Downlevel clients aren't supported.”

Seems this is the by default behavior.

From your situation, we understand:

1.Mailbox replication service is okay.

2.MRSproxy is enabled.

3.Exchange server communication is okay from different site.

4.Encounter error when migration from EAC.

5.Separate site: All in one exchange server with AD, Site A: what’s your topology in your Main site?

Based on above, we give you below advice:

============================

1.Move one mailbox from EMS,then check if any detailed error in it?

New-MoveRequest -Identity sec4 -TargetDatabase 16A -verbose

When the job finished, user below PowerShell to get the detailed report from EMS

Get-MoveRequestStatistics -Identity moveto16 -IncludeReport -Diagnostic | fl > C:\1.txt

Please send this report to me via email.

Later I will send one message through PM,please kindly check.

2.As all the exchange service is okay, please double confirm that all the firewall between them is disabled.

Appreciate your kindly understanding!

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Lancelot Zheng

Sorry this didn't help.

HI Lancelot,

Apologies I thought I'd replied last week with a response to your suggestions but it doesn't look like it's gone through.

Basically if we run a moverequest from the 2016 server in EMS to move a mailbox to itself, it works fine. If we run the command on the 2013 server it immediately fails with these errors.

I'm not sure if we should continue moving everyone over if there is a problem on the 2016 server, but I can't identify what the problem would be. Are you able to do a move request on your 2013 server to a 2016 server on your test rig?

Many Thanks

Phil Ware

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Partner,

Thanks for your post and hope you are doing fine.

We perform one test from exchange 2013 to exchange 2016 from the EMS.

1.Use above PowerShell to do one move request to exchange 2016.

2.When finished, run the PowerShell to get the detailed move process.

3.And from the report, we can find that the process is finished and no error.

We are looking forward to your further update.

Appreciate your kindly understanding!

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Lancelot Zheng

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lancelot,

After much time spent on this problem, we could not rely on the Exchange 2016 server working correctly, as further unexplainable problems were manifesting themselves as time went on. They all seemed to be related to the EWS virtual directory. Removing and re-creating this didn't make any difference, so ultimately we decided to uninstall Exchange and the whole virtual server and start again.

We will this time be installing a separate DC in the same site as the Exchange server so we can rule out that being a problem in the future.

Thank you for your time spent on this problem, but there's no point continuing now.

Many Thanks

Phil

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Partner,

Thanks for the feedback, if anything other else that need our help, please feel free to tell us in the future.

It is always my pleasure to provide assistance to you, feel free to post in our forum anytime if you have any query.

Looking forward to working with you again.

We are always at your service and have a nice day!              

Best Regards,

Lancelot Zheng

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,672 Last updated: January 30, 2018 Applies to: