Question

Q: "Fall Creator's Update" (version 1709) failed to install

Dear support,

I have a computer with Windows 10 Pro ver 1703.

I just found that it has downloaded Fall Creator's Update (version 1709) because when I open Update history, here's what I get:

It told me to restart to finish installing.  However, I have restarted four times and nothing is changed.  Please suggest me what to do.

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Partner,

Thank you for posting in Partner Support Community.

This is a quick note to let you know we are researching your issue and will keep updated about the progress. Also, if any other partners have any insights into this issue/scenario, we would appreciate it if you could share them here.

Thanks for your kind understanding.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Best regards,

Cici Wu

Microsoft Partner Support Community Technical Support Engineer

Microsoft Global Partner Services

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Please Mark As Answer if this post is helpful to you. Thanks for your cooperation.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Hi Partner,

Thanks for posting in our community. This is Janet and I will assist you with this issue..

From your description, I understand that Windows Update on Windows 10 1703 indicated that the feature update to 1709 has been downloaded and requires a restart to finishing installing, however, it still requires restart even restarted four times.  If anything is misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Before moving on, could you please help me verify the information below?

1. What is the build number of current Windows 10? Please capture a screenshot of the result when run winver
  2. If we upgrade current machine by clicking “Update now” in the link below, will it update properly?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3. If it still cannot update properly, is there any error message occur? If there is any error message, it would be appreciated if you provide a screenshot of it or paste it here.

4. Have you made any system restore points before?

To narrow down this issue, could you please follow the methods below to have a test?

Method 1:

Run Windows Updater troubleshooter:

======================

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4027322/windows-windows-update-troubleshooter

Method 2:

1. Open an elevated command prompt
  2. Type and run the following command:

Sfc /scannow

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

3. Then check if the issue still persists

Method 3:

1. Open an elevated command prompt
  2. Run the following command:

net stop bits

net stop wuauserv

net stop appidsvc

net stop cryptsvc

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start bits

net start wuauserv

net start appidsvc

net start cryptsvc

3. Exit command prompt and check if the issue persists

Method 4:

1. Open registry editor by running regedit.exe
  2. Back up the registry first before making changes to it
  3. Navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
  4. Check if PendingFileRenameOperations exists under the Session Manager key
  5. If it exists, please remove it
  6. Restart computer and check if issue persists

If the issue persists,  please follow the steps below and send the CBS log to the e-mail address in private message.

1. Rename the CBS.log(%systemroot%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) to CBS.old
  2. Manually update the computer again and restart computer if needed
  3. Send the new generated CBS.log.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Janet Wu

------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Mark As Answer if this post is helpful to you. Thanks for your cooperation.

Sorry this didn't help.

46 people were helped by this reply

Hi Partner,

It seems that we havent heard from you for several day. I am just writing to see if this issue has any update. Also, for the problem, is there any other assistance we could provide?

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Janet Wu

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Hi Janet,

From your description, I understand that Windows Update on Windows 10 1703 indicated that the feature update to 1709 has been downloaded and requires a restart to finishing installing, however, it still requires restart even restarted four times.  If anything is misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Before moving on, could you please help me verify the information below?

1. What is the build number of current Windows 10? Please capture a screenshot of the result when run winver

2. If we upgrade current machine by clicking “Update now” in the link below, will it update properly?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Yes, this worked.  The computer is now at 1709.

That means 1709 updates pushed by Windows Update actually does not work.  You have to report this bug.

[the rest deleted ....]

As the computer is updated correctly, there's no need to answer the remaining part of your post.

Thanks a lot.

Sorry this didn't help.

16 people were helped by this reply

Hi Partner,

Thank you very much for your confirmation and marking my reply as answer. I’m very glad that your computer has been upgraded successfully now. For the issue that Windows Update did not successfully upgrade the computer, I have submitted the issue to Product Team to check if it is known issue or a bug.

As always, if any questions in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this partner forum again. We are happy to assist you! 

Best regards,

Janet Wu

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Janet,

I've followed your indications.

1. winver is Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.726)

2. I've ran successfully Method 1.  and ran Windows Updater troubleshooter which resulted in a few corrections being made.

3. I've also ran Method 2. with sfc and dism

So, finally it seemed to work as it went further than previously with a couple of reboots and setups until finally without any clear message it went into Restore the Previous Version and here I am.

-- I send you over this link(hope you can get it as I did not find a way to attach a log file to this report) the clean CBS.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0poh3unqgawtqy9/CBS.log?dl=0

4. Will now try the updated from the web: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thank you for your support.

oPromessa

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Janet and all... as others, after applying the fixes above I was able to download Windows10Upgrade9252.exe and run it locally (requires 11GB free space) to successfully update to the Falls Creation Edition.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Partner,

Thank you for your reply. I am glad that the issue has been resolved now and you have successfully upgrade to Windows 10 1709.

Any questions in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this partner forum.

Hope everything goes well. 

Kind regards,

Janet Wu

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Janet,

I have been following this topic as I have the same issue on 2 PCs that I have tried updating to the Fall Creator Update (V 1709). My Desktop & Laptop.

I see from other suggestions such as

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-fall-creators-update-restoring-your/ee1e4845-f932-444d-81fa-935a34a225b7

that a full reinstall 'might' work but want to find an update route so when clients hit the same issue they don't need to reinstall which would be unacceptable.

On my laptop I have tried all the steps in your earlier post of October 26.

1. winver - Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.726) running Windows 10 Pro

2. Method 1 ran Windows Updater a couple of times, which cleared pending updates and some other corrections.

3. Ran Method 2. sfc & dism - no issues found.

4. Method 3. appidsvc reported as not running, and had to go into safe mode to rename catroot2

5. Method 4. PendingFileRenamOperations didn't exist.

Had difficulty renaming CBS.log but eventually managed to delete it in safe mode.

Additionally

I removed AVG/Avast Anti Virus.

and used a local PC Admin account rather than my normal logon as a Domain User.

I set it off to Update last night and this morning found it had failed again showing the Update History as:

Finally I tried the method oPromessa used, at a similar stage, of running Windows10Upgrade9252.exe locally, and also disconnected the internet connection after the update was downloaded and before it tried any reboots, as suggested in an other MS forum (link above)

Got to the restart/reboot stage then continued working on updates till about 30% when it rebooted again, it continued for a while then rebooted again, but then reported "restoring to your previous version of windows"

I have a copy of the CBS.log from the last tries but can't see a way to attach it, and the last entry in it is about 30 minutes before the final reboot.

So after another day of trying to update it has failed and I am still on V 1703.

Any suggestion on how to upgrade without doing a full reinstall would be appreciated?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Partner,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for delayed response.

Seems the issue you are experiencing more complicated, have you tried to reset Windows Update component? If not, please follow the steps below to have a test:

=================

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

If the issue persists, I would suggest that you could post a new thread for this issue so that we can better assist you with this issue.

Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Janet Wu

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 106,720 Last updated: April 25, 2018 Applies to: